Barnwell space allocation deadline

Just a reminder to the generators utilizing Barnwell for burial of their

rad waste:

You have until 9-1-01 to request an allocation of space for the burial

of your rad waste next year. This is especially important for small

generators. As I understand it, such generators will automatically

receive an allocation of space based on their burial volume of last

year. This allocation works out to be about 50% of what was disposed of

last year. Small generators can request and receive an additional 5 cu.

ft. of space, provided such a request is made in writing by 9-1-01. They

may also request more space from the "variable pool" but I've been told

that such space is pretty much "sold out" at this time.

If you utilize the services of a broker, such as Adco, you may have the

broker make the request for you. Adco will provide this service to its

customers free of charge. You'll need to check with your broker

regarding this service.

It should also be mentioned that if additional space is requested and

granted, you will need to pay the State of South Carolina for the space.

The charge will be in the neighborhood of $300 per cu. ft. And, as I

understand it, there will not be a refund if the space is not used.

We will be sending a letter to all of our customers reiterating this and

hope this general information will be useful to all those utilizing

Barnwell. If you are one of the lucky generators located in the Atlantic

Compact you are already granted the space you need, so you may disregard

this reminder. For all the rest of us, we will only be allowed to bury

waste at Barnwell if we've had space allocated. If not, your waste will

NOT be accepted.

Only my ramblings. This in no way should be taken as the official State

of South Carolina rule for space allocation.