Re: Compensation of survivors -June 14,1957 chemical explosion involving Pu nitrate at Rocky Flats

I have a few comments for Mike Simmons regarding his comments on the Rocky Flats

explosion:

<"The final report of the "incident" included only one reference to the injuries

suffered by the three personnel involved in the event, and nearly 60 pages

detailing the <cost of the lost Pu, demonstrating what the priorities for the

AEC were at the time."

This wasn't just an AEC mindset.  Safety in industry wasn't really thought of

back then as we do now.  I enjoy the History Channel, and have watched programs

on construction of the Panama Canal and Boulder Dam, among others.  In both

cases, deaths of workers were considered unfortunate, but to be expected.  Why

should the AEC be any different.  Our present concept of "safety" is a rather

recent phenomenon.

<"This individual is currently battling prostate cancer.  Was it caused by his

uptake?  Who knows."

Let's see.  The incident was in 1957.  That would be 44 years ago.  Assuming he

has at least 20 at the time, he is now in his mid-sixties or more.  I'm just

guessing, but with an estimated dose of 65 rem, I think the probability of

causation is much less than 50% for the incident.  Many of us guys will have to

face prostate cancer, regardless of our radiation exposure.  That is why we are

willing to "face" the indignity of the annual exam.

<"I'm positive that this worker didn't give his consent to be involved in this

event."

But he did consent to work in the facility with the knowledge that accidents

happen.

<"He did give his consent to EDTA and DPTA in an attempt to lower the Pu in his

body all at the same time being told "it was for science" and this was a way he

<could help others that faced the same exposures.  In some cases he was only the

oddity that the health physics community used to secure grants, and for a few

<possibly a way to make a name for themselves at his expense."

Contrary to your apparent opinion, it is possible to have a scientific interest

in such an incident, and also have genuine concern for the person involved.

Whether or not papers are written, the incident happened.  Ignoring it doesn't

make him any safer.  What was his "expense" regarding post accident research?

These are just my opinions.

Jay MacLellan, CHP

Radiation and Health Technology

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory