Re: Dateline NBC TMI story - A different evaluation

Jerry Cohen wrote:

> It would be nice if this were true, but it surely seems naive.

> The vast majority of the public is incapable of understanding

> scientific concepts. Scientific findings, be they sound or otherwise,

> have little, if any, effect on public opinion. It is the manner in

> which the information is presented [spun] to the public that has

> the impact. If their objective was to stimulate public fear

> of nuclear power, NBC did a great job.

I have to agree with this.  I would only add that the phenomenon is not

limited to scientific concepts, nor is it limited to non-scientific

people.  We all believe a great many things for which we have no

concrete evidence.  We do so because we have some trust in the source of

our information.  People take vitamins not because they have concrete

evidence of any benefit, but because they "believe" it is healthful to

do so.  People MUST do things this way because it is just not possible

to look at and touch and analyze everything about which they must make a

choice.

	Gary Isenhower

	713-798-8353

	garyi@bcm.tmc.edu