Sent: August 16, 2001 5:05 p.m.
Subject: Re: Dateline NBC TMI special

Correct, Susan. I've heard estimates that the "void" was about 30% of the core volume, and based on the in-core examination videos that I remember seeing a LONG time ago, I'd say those estimates were pretty close.

Jim Hardeman
Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us

>>> Susan Gawarecki <loc@ICX.NET> 8/16/2001 14:14:31 >>>
> The gist of
> the show was that TMI was basically 30 minutes from meltdown at one
> point

TMI did have partial melting of its core.  The exhibit about it at INEEL
is quite interesting.  By the way, many anti-nuclear activists have been
led to believe that there was no meltdown, I guess they want to assert
that it couldn't possibly have been contained had it happened.
--
Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director
Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee