Re: Compensation of survivors

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, William V Lipton wrote:

> BERNARD L COHEN wrote:

> > "...

> >         --What were their exposures in mrem? I worked in Y-12 (Oak Ridge)

> > from 1950 to 1958 and can testify that great care was taken about

> > radiation exposures. My assistant was taken away from me because he wore

> > his radiation badge outside his lead apron, and no arguments were

> > accepted. The HPs had unlimited authority and they used it freely.

> > ..."

> You've got me on this one.  The head is part of the "whole body."  Unless the lead

> apron covered the worker's head, it would seem  appropriate to wear the dosimeter

> outside of the apron.  Also, how did you measure lens dose?

	--We did wear hoods that covered our faces too, although at that

time, the principal danger from radiation was believed to be to the

genitals. Wearing a radiation badge outside the apron would have shut down

my research program. I see no reason for wearing a badge there; the

purpose is to protect the body, so we should measure the exposure to the

body.