Re: RE(2): Dateline NBC TMI story A different evaluation

As far as I know, the observed level of contamination in the waters of the

Dneper are about what you would expect to see from the surface runoff.  That

is not to say that there is nothing escaping the Shelter.  We know that

there is quite a bit of water going in, but no one is quite sure where it is

going.  Of course things might have changed since I left.

Dilution is large.  However, there are measureable levels of contaminants in

the water (as well as in the soils).  I remember having considered the

question of how much consumed food would be needed to reach the ALI's and

concluded that hundreds of pounds of mushrooms would be needed (Cs-137)

somewhere close to a thousand pounds of fish (Sr-90) would be needed (these

estimates were based on analysis conducted by Boris Oskolkov of an

environmental lab associated with Chernobyl).  Actually, fish is part of the

local diet, so you can't rule the fish out.  As an aside, I used the results

of my calculations to reassure some of the other folks in the organization I

was working in that there was no reason to fear eating the local foods.  It

actually helped to reassure many of the people in the group feel better

(safer).