steam generators and Hopenfeld's DPO/ACRES report

Hello all you Radsafers,

I've come out of lurk mode to ask a couple of questions about steam

generators. Feel free to reply directly to me at

mailto:ncohen12@home.com as to not clog up the list.

Quick background: Salem Units 1 and 2 have similiar steam gens as Indian

Point Unit 2. Especially Salem Unit 2, whose steam gen was built in 1981

and just "refurbished", not replaced during the 95-97 outage. Tube

plugging on Unit 2 is nearing 10%. About a year ago we did a FOIA with

the NRC and uncovered whistleblower letters from 1997 from a high level

PSEG employee that expressed his serious concerns about Salem's steam

gens, the alloys used, and the water chemistry. Following the FOIA came

IP2.

After much pressure, Stonewall Sam Collins of the NRC's NRR agreed to

hold a public meeting on the safety of Salem's steam gens, which was

held last week in Pennsville. David Lochbaum testified for the good guys

(that's us). I have copies of Lochbaum's testimony and UNPLUG's press

handouts for anyone who is interested.

Much of the meeting concerned Hopenfeld's DPO, the ACRES report, and the

possibility of a multiple tube rupture.

So, I have the following questions for you:

(1) An NRC inspector asserted that the Nuclear Navy has NEVER has a

steam gen accident. True or false?

(2) What is your opinion about Hopenfeld's DPO and the subsequent ACRES

report?

(3) How concerned are you about steam gens, especially those like Salem

and IP, that are aging and housed in aging nuke plants.

(4) Other thoughts/comments welcomed.

I don't plan to respond on list except for a general thank you, as to

avoid getting tossed off like what happened last year. I enjoy reading

your comments too much.

peace,

your favorite no-nuker,

Norm

--

Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr

Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer

machine);  ncohen12@home.com  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:

http://www.unplugsalem.org/  COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:

http:/www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org   The Coalition for Peace and

Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.

"First they ignore you; Then they laugh at you; Then they fight you;

Then you win. (Gandhi) "Why walk when you can fly?"  (Mary Chapin

Carpenter)