RE: CS-137 in the Black Sea Salt. RE(2): Dateline NBC TMI story A

>  How much of that Cs-137 came from U.S. submarine

discharges?

"None" sounds about right to me.  Submarines seldom discharge any primary

fluid; and we didn't have any fission products in the water.  If you asked

about Co-60, that's a different story.  But even there, it was just barely

detectable dockside, back in the days that we were fairly relaxed about

pushing water overboard.  Even that activity (from system corrosion, not

fuel) did not add detectably to overall background.  You could only find it

with a multichannel analyzer.

Total figures for all discharges from all of our ships, surface and sub, are

given in detail each year in our report to Congress and the public.  I'm

sure it's less than contributed by coal ash dumped.

Ted Rockwell