RE: CS-137 in the Black Sea Salt. RE(2): Dateline NBC TMI story A

 Food for thought:  How much of that Cs-137 came from U.S. submarine

discharges?  If anyone says, "None", they are probably kidding themselves.

-----Original Message-----

From: Emil Murat

To: radsafe

Cc: tgi@cit.bg

Sent: 8/22/01 7:02 AM

Subject: CS-137 in the Black Sea Salt. RE(2): Dateline NBC TMI story A

Dimiter,

You are right, about K-40 and also it has higher

gamma energy than Cs-137.

To me, it is surprising that some people continue

"I belive ONLY when my instrument's needle move

up than I say here is radiation"

"Chernobyl Plant instruments

during/after the accident showed  "ZEROs"...

Why?

Because there was no radiation?

No.

Because

Nobody was expecting so high levels that

instruments counting circuitry elements

saturated/piled up.

As far as I am concern there could be simply

burned out electronics, aspecially with some

newer computer chip technology stuff.

I am surprised that such thing as  transport of

Cs-137 needs to be proved with the ABSOLUTE

accuracy.

1. Obviously, there are cases when we CAN say

that if Cs-137 was in the reactor's fall out and

water runs out into the Sea => Cs-137 SHELL be in

the Sea water => Sea salt

WHY???

BECAUSE

2. There is the Universal LAW of conservation of

MATTER  and it is stating that MATTER can not

vanish but only can change its form.

I have not heard of any Black Sea's regional

relativistic phenomenas other than Isotopic

spontaneous decay.

So if Cs-137 went in there then it is in the Sea

water => Sea Salt (period)

It is probably, impossible to see any Cs-134

after so many years of decaying with such low

initial concentrations because of the huge

dilution, to determine the exact Cesium origin.

3. Concentrations of Cs-137 should be negligible

=> from the health hazard side it does NOT MATTER

how low was LLD/MDA of your spectrometer. NOBODY

CAN dink/eat so much of that water/salt to get

exposed to CS-137 to the "levels of health

concern" Nor to get any considerable level of

external exposure.

4. LLD will be the most important part if we are

writing the reports....:-)

For the quality analysis, who cares?

I too played with many instruments, for many

years and I also do not remember all LLD's and

MDA's.

5. For me, the instrument is not as important as

user which used it.

We all can have the best instruments in our

possession but users who are just looking into

the numbers can do not much if they see no big

picture.

I am more interested in the big picture, so I may

forget small details.

Or may be I am becoming just too old? :-)

6. Of course, as professionals, we are ALWAYS???

need to watch out for our selves for scenarios

like "how to defend our data or how to attack the

opponent" :-)

But sometimes it becomes too silly..fellas.

We are not on the symposium here, right?

It is a discussion list, only.

7. You are right if World Bank/IAEA/NATO/EU or

other national organization have money for

research of the Cs-137 in the Black Sea's Salt,

you could do that work for them, since, you live

there and know the area, know equipment and have

the expertise.

So if some people have doubts about the Cs-137

origin, then they need to help you to get a grand

money for the project.

But I still doubt that Cs-134 could be seeing.

May be transuranics could show something?

Who knows...

So who gonna pay to satisfy peoples curiosity?

Happy week to everyone,

Emil.