Loss of Blade Accidents Revisited

Radsafe:

Sandy Perle posted a nuclear items update today which included in part the
following note on North America's largest windmill soon starting up in
Canada.  A while back I posted my 1981 satire on Radsafe about the "most
dreaded of all power generation accidents - the  LOBA [loss of blade
accident]" which leads me to pose a question.

Does anyone know how close to Pickering's turbine hall this new windmill is
located? A 384 foot tall windmill with 128 foot blades weighing many tons
each, could release a blade or blade element that could feather a great
distance in the event of a windmill LOBA. Is it possible a blade or blade
fragment from this particular windmill could strike anything onsite such as a
major transformer,  power lines, diesel backup generator, turbine,  outside
waste storage tanks, etc. causing damage and an impact on plant
operations/safety? Just a question.

I recall during the early site study and plant layout for a PWR nuclear plant
in the US in which I was involved at the time as Staff meteorologist, it was
necessary for the architect-engineer to change the orientation of the turbine
hall and reactor building due to a concern raised about "turbine missiles"
such that a radial failure and release of a turbine blade or fragment could
not strike the reactor building, with the possibility I was told of damage
inside containment.

The concern was that the failure of an electric generating steam turbine in a
real LOBA which happens occasionally sometimes leading to catastrophic
failure of all  turbine blades as fragments sweep through the turbine  [of
course a steam turbine is turning at 3600 rpm, but with much, much  smaller
blades than the windmill] and the generation of "turbine missiles" could
cause damage to a reactor building internals since the kinetic energy of the
turbine blade missile fragments was so great.

Any information on the questions above about proximity of this new windmill
to Pickering or any other windmills near nuclear plants would be appreciated.

Please respond directly to me unless you think this might be of interest to
others on the list.

Stewart Farber
Public Health Sciences
172 Old Orchard Way
Warren, VT 05674
email: SAFarberMSPH@cs.com

====
EXCERPT FROM EARLIER POST BY S. PERLE:
"Ontario opens North America's biggest windmill

TORONTO, Aug 22 (Reuters) - Ontario Power Generation was set on
Wednesday to put the finishing touches on what it claims is the
tallest wind turbine in North America as it looks to develop more
"green" energy.

The turbine, with a capacity of 1.8 megawatts -- or enough to power
for about 600 homes -- is located beside the utility's Pickering
nuclear power station, just east of Toronto.

Manufactured in Denmark, the turbine stands 117 meters (384 feet)
tall, with 39-metre (128-foot) blades. It is part of a C$50 million
($33 million) strategy by the provincially owned company to develop
new sources of renewable energy as it prepares for deregulation of
the Ontario power sector.

"We are very serious with our green energy program because we know
that the people of Ontario see it as a market that they would like to
tap into," said spokesman John Earl.