Re: "Watchdog group questions safety of nuclear plant"

I would say that this is very misleading as an accident consequence

analysis would include multiple tube failures. Although the internet is not

exactly the best source of information, a search with keywords "multiple

tube failure" turned up this interesting paper:

http://www2.ijs.si/~tdvorsek/paperNED/paperNED.html

The references given are worthy of note:

[1] MacDonald, P.E., C.Maruska, V.N.Shah, Assessment and Management of

Ageing of Major Nuclear Power Plant Components: Steam Generators (Draft),

Safety Series, International Atomic Energy Agency (1995), Vienna, Austria.

[2]  Clark,  R.A.,  R.J.Kurtz:  Compendium  and Comparison of International

Practice  for  Plugging,  Repair  and Inspection of Steam Generator Tubing,

NUREG/CR-5016 (1988).

[3] ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section XI.

[4]  U.S.  NRC, Voltage-Based Interim Plugging Criteria for Steam Generator

Tubes, Draft report NUREG-1477 (1993), Washington D.C., USA.

[5]  Mavko,  B.,  L.Cizelj:  Failure  Probability  of Axially Cracked Steam

Generator   Tubes:   A  Probabilistic  Fracture  Mechanics  Model,  Nuclear

Technology, Vol. 98 (1992), No. 2, pp. 171-177.

[6]  Cizelj,  L.,  B.Mavko, P.Vencelj, Reliability of Steam Generator Tubes

with  Axial Cracks, Service Experience and Reliability Improvement, Journal

of  Pressure  Vessel Technology, Transactions of ASME, Vol. 118 (1996), No.

4, pp. 441-446.

[7]  Cizelj,  L.,  B.Mavko,  H.Riesch-Oppermann,  Application  of First and

Second  Order  Reliability  Methods  on  the  Safety  Assessment  of  Steam

Generator  Tubing,  Nuclear  Engineering  and  Design, Vol. 147 (1994), pp.

359-368.

[8]  Cizelj,  L.,  T.  Dvor?ek,  B.  Mavko,  Efficiency  of Defect Specific

Maintenance of Steam Generator Tubes: The Case of ODSCC, 15(superscript: th

) EPRI Steam Generator NDE Workshop, EPRI Report No. TR-107161 (1996), Long

Beach, CA, USA, July 29-31, 1996, pp. 9/1?9/10.

[9]  Steam  Generator  Degradation Specific Management (Draft), EPRI Report

No. TR-103017 (1993).

[10] US NRC, Generic Letter 95-05 (1995).

[11]  Cizelj,  L.  H.Riesch-Oppermann:  ZERBERUS-the  Code  for Reliability

Analysis   of   Crack   Containing  Structures,  Report  KfK  5019  (1991),

Kernforschungszentrum Karlsruhe, Germany.

[12]  Dvor?ek,  T.,  Comparison  of Maintenance Strategies Applied to Steam

Generator Tubes (in Slovene), M.Sc. Thesis (1996), University of Ljubljana,

Slovenia.

[13]  Cizelj, L., et al, Safety Analysis of Kr?ko NPP Steam Generator Tubes

Damaged  by  Outside  Diameter  Stress  Corrosion  Cracking at Tube Support

Plates,  Report  No.  IJS-DP-7175,  Rev.  0  (1995),  "J.Stefan" Institute,

Ljubljana, Slovenia, proprietary.

[14]  Cuvelliez, Ch., G.Roussel, Assessment of the Leak Tightness Integrity

of  the Steam Generator Affected by ODSCC at Tube Support Plates, CNRA/CNSI

Workshop  on  Steam  Generator  Tube  Integrity  in  Nuclear  Power Plants,

NUREG/CP-0154  (1996),  Oak  Brooks,  Illinois, USA, October 30-November 2,

1995, pp. 385-398.

[15]  Cizelj,  L.,  I.Sor?ek, G.Roussel, Ch.Cuvelliez, Some Comments on the

Probabilistic  Modeling  of  Leak  Rates  Through  Degraded  SG  Tubing, 15

(superscript:  th)  EPRI  Steam  Generator  NDE  Workshop,  EPRI Report No.

TR-107161 (1996), Long Beach, CA, USA, July 29-31, 1996, pp. 31/1-31/10.

[16]   Cizelj,   L.,  B.Mavko,  H.Riesch-Oppermann,  On  the  Probabilistic

Approaches  Applied  to  the Maintenance of Degraded Steam Generator Tubes,

CSNI-PW3  Workshop  on  Probabilistic Structural Integrity Analysis and its

Relationship to Deterministic Analysis, NEA/CSNI/R(96) 4 (1996), Stockholm,

Sweden, February 28-March 1, 1996, pp. 261-272.

[17] NPP Kr?ko, Technical Specification, Rev. 50 (1997).

[18]  Inetec,  Results  of  Reevaluation  of  EC  Data  Under TSP and Their

Statistic Analysis, Final Report, Rev. 3 (1996).

DJWhitfill

Opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect official policies or

positions of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

                    Norman Cohen

                    <ncohen12@HOME.COM>            To:     "radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu" <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

                    Sent by:                       cc:

                    owner-radsafe@list.vand        Subject:     Re: "Watchdog group questions safety of nuclear plant"

                    erbilt.edu

                    08/23/01 09:04 PM

                    Please respond to

                    Norman Cohen

Hi Sandy, and Radsafers,

Delurking for a moment:

    Perhaps it was the way the reporter expressed himself. The "panel" was

the 10 or

more NRC officials at the NRC public meeting on the safety of Salem's

(mostly Unit 2)

steam generators. NRC granted this public meeting in response to a request

from the

UNPLUG Salem Campaign, and sent their senior faciliator, Chip Cameron plus

a whole

posse of NRC officials, to the meeting.

     The admission is directly from the NRC's own ACRS (Committee on

Reactor

Safeguards) report which verified the Hopenfeld DPO (Differing Professional

Opinion),

which makes it clear that the NRC "hasn't a clue" (my words) as whether or

not a single

tube rupture may or may not lead to a multiple tube rupture. Dr Hopenfeld,

a senior NRC

inspector, had spent 10 long years trying to get the NRC to listen. After

Indian Point

2 blew a steam generator tube, NRC had to listen.

Anyone who wants Lochbaum's handout or the text from the Praire Island

Coalition's

video, both of which detail how and why multiple tube ruptures could occur,

please

email me at mailto:ncohen12@home.com and I'll be glad to snail mail the

info to you.

Thanks,

Norm

(back to lurkdom)

Sandy Perle wrote:

> [...]

> failure' of multiple steam generator tubes, more water could escape

> through steam vents than the plant is designed to replace, said Dave

> Lochbaum, a nuclear safety engineer with the Union of Concerned

> Scientists in Washington, DC. Without sufficient water, the nuclear

> reactor would melt down, Lochbaum said. Such a meltdown would pollute

> much of southern New Jersey with radiation. Meyer said such a

> scenario is only a hypothesis that NRC staff members are evaluating.

> "That's not to say it absolutely can't happen," Meyer said. "Multiple

> tube failures:Can they happen? We can't definetly say 'no'. That's

> what we are pursuing." In the meantime, there is no safety risk with

> continued operation of the nuclear plant, said Rick Ennis, the NRC

> project manager in charge of responding to the steam-generator

> report. NRC officials said a single tube failure is unlikely, because

> plant operator Public Service Electric and Gas plugs tubes when they

> are corroded 40 percent of the way through. The pencil-thin tubes are

> tested for cracks using radio waves. Although current testing methods

> don't typically discover a tube that is only 40% cracked, tubes in a

> high-pressure generator can withstand a crack 85 percent of the way

> through, said Joseph Muscara, an NRC senior metallurigical engineer.

> To date, 871 tubes have been plugged at Salem Unit 2. Meyer said PSEG

> has a strong financial incentive to make sure they plug any tubes

> during refueling outages. If a tube breaks when the plant is

> operating, power production has to stop for weeks, he said.

> Generators in Indian Point Unit 2 and Salem Unit 2 both use the same

> size and type of nickel-alloy tubing. But NRC officials have told

> Unplug Salem coordinator Norm Cohen that a direct comparison between

> the two generators is inappropriate because the Salem tubes have been

> heat-treated. On Thursday, Cohen asked the NRC panel to rpovide

> certification of the heat treatment. But the nuclear officials said

> only PSEG has that information. Cohen and Lochbaum questioned whether

> it was worth the risk to keep the plant running while the NRC

> resolves the question of tube failures in older nuclear steam

> generators.

> --

> Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321

> Barr Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583:

> fax,

> answer machine);  ncohen12@home.com  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:

> http://www.unplugsalem.org/  COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:

> http:/www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org   The Coalition for Peace

> and Justice is a chapter of Peace Action. "First they ignore you;

> Then

> they laugh at you; Then they fight you; Then you win. (Gandhi) "Why

> walk when you can fly?"  (Mary Chapin Carpenter)

> Sandy Perle                                     Tel:(714) 545-0100 /

(800) 548-5100

sandyfl@earthlink.net

> ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue           E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

> Costa Mesa, CA 92626

> Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/scperle

> ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com

> radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line.