Discarding Liquid Scintillation Counter

Greetings,

The VA Medical Center in Augusta, GA would like to surplus a Tracor Analytic

Mark III Model 6881 liquid scintillation counter (purchased in 1982).  The

counter has a 4 microcurie (approximate) Ba-133 internal source that must be

removed before the equipment can be discarded.  The problem is that I can

not locate a company to provide this service.  The manufacturer, Tracor

Analytic, is out-of-business.  The company that serviced the equipment, TM

Analytic, recently went out-of-business.

According to 10 CFR 31.5(c)(3)(ii), a person holding a specific license

pursuant to parts 30 and 32 or from an Agreement State is to perform the

source removal.  I would appreciate if someone can recommend a company that

is authorized to perform the source removal.  Remember that our tax dollars

($1000?) will be spent to reduce the radiation risk to anyone who might

encounter this 4 microcurie source.  Oh what a tangled web we weave.

Steve Knapp, Ph.D., D.A.B.R., R.S.O.