Re: medical misadventures

Dear Bill,

At 07:18 6/09/01 -0400, William V Lipton wrote:

> Virtually every major event at a power reactor is reviewed by other power

> reactors to determine whether they are vulnerable to a simlar event, and

> corrective actions are taken, as appropriate.  I don't see that happening

> in the medical hp community.  Informal information exchange is important,

> but you should also have procedures that assure documented reviews of key

> events.

I can assure you that reviews of incidents DOES occur in the medical

community.  In NSW Australia, we have an informal organisation known as

HURSOG (Hospital and University Radiation Safety Officer's Group).

At our meetings, every 2 months, one of the most important standing agenda

items is a discussion of radiation incidents, including medical

misadministrations.  Significant changes in procedures have occurred as a

result of these discussions.  This has led to the preparation of guidelines,

in conjunction with the Australian and New Zealand Society of Nuclear

Medicine, to minimise misadministrations in nuclear medicine procedures, .

These guidelines are available at:

http://www.anzsnm.org.au/physics/papers/maladmin.pdf

The adoption of these guidelines has significantly reduced the incidents.

Kind regards

Richard

Richard Smart PhD

Principal Physicist and Radiation Safety Officer

Nuclear Medicine Department

St. George Hospital

Kogarah

NSW, 2217, Australia

Tel: (61 2) 9350 3129

Fax: (61 2) 9350 3991

email: r.smart@unsw.edu.au

This email and the files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not permitted to distribute or use this message or any of its attachments in any way. We also request that you advise the sender of the incorrect addressing.

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, South East Health accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing any computer viruses.