RE: medical misadventures

Gary,

There are indeed diagnostic NM procedures that can cause death or serious

injury.  Any procedures that involve labeling of blood or blood products

with subsequent re-injection of the material back into the patient can be

extremely dangerous if the blood from one patient is injected into another

(wrong) patient.  This can cause graft vs. host disease or can lead to the

transmission of diseases such as hepatitis or AIDS.  Because this type of

error is so serious, hospitals should have multiple layers of procedures in

place to prevent them.  Of course, the risk of harm here is NOT from

radiation.

Gerald Feldman, M.S.

Radiation Safety Officer

UCI Medical Center