RE: questions

Dave Neil wrote:

>         The policy articulated by the Bush Administration of holding

> countries which give 'aid and comfort' to the perpetrators responsible for

> their acts shows promise, if it can be implemented effectively.

I'm sure we all have strong personal opinions, and the following is mine

alone.

Virtually all developed nations harbor extremist Islamic terrorists.

For example, on this morning's news it was stated that Germany is

considered a safe haven.  There are many such terrorists in the

US--certainly the CIA and FBI are aware of them.  I'm sure that the

intelligence community feels it's easier to keep an eye on them when

they are in the country, but the saber rattling about holding "countries

who harbor terrorists" responsible is no doubt aimed at Middle Eastern

countries.

I am concerned that a major military strike will only cause a major

retaliatory strike, ad infinitum.  Just as US citizens' resolve is

hardened when attacked, so will be the resolve of the enemy (look at the

many historical examples).  There is no end to revenge, and with Islamic

terrorists dispersed around the world, they cannot be easily wiped out.

Will you ever feel safe taking your kids to Disney World?

I'm sure the nuclear option is under consideration.  I hope our country

does not choose to destroy innocent lives.  Two wrongs never make a

right.

And no, I don't have an easy answer.  Let's put our country's best and

most experienced experts (not just the current pool of political

appointees) to the task of formulating an appropriate and effective

response.

Again, my personal opinion only.

Susan Gawarecki