RE: questions

>Virtually all developed nations harbor extremist Islamic terrorists.

>For example, on this morning's news it was stated that Germany is

considered a safe haven.

---

Thank you Susan for bringing up important aspects. Other developed countries

including Sweden were 1-2 days ago pointed at in our media as good countries

for terrorists (no they won't find any sympathy here either - except for

among themselves). Instead we had three silent minutes in Sweden yesterday.

Our country stopped in many ways, people at work, people on the streets,

trains stopped, subways stopped and so on.

This WTC tragedy and future type of threat as well is to a large extent

about individuals. In this case 19 hijackers are said to have been involved

- 19 individuals who committed planned suicide. There are probably other

candidates of this kind around the world - as well as other obvious

potential targets (I am sure that the terrorists can write the manual

without help from others).

Regardless of what we do - there will still be individuals in most countries

who are ready to detonate a car filled with explosives at various locations

- individuals who want to turn a civilized and developed world into gravel,

dust and death. The problem is how to selectively get rid of these

individuals before they act (an off-topic aspect that shhouldn't be

discussed here I believe).

Sometimes - as an example for illustration (risks etc) - me and a few

collegues mention the probability of having two 747 airplanes colliding in

central Stockholm on a Saturday at noon: A low probability (for practical

purposes zero) but not impossible. But these probabilities aren't valid when

you are dealing with maniacs, terrorists etc. This aspect - in terms of

prevention and mitigation, can hardly be off-topic for Radsafers in the

radiation & nuclear field.

My personal ideas only,

Bjorn Cedervall        bcradsafers@hotmail.com

PS. WTC: I don't the linguistic capacity to express what I feel. I have been

at the Manhattan WTC about 70-80 times (Borders: Everyone of the staff was

able to evacuate in time. It was my number one bookstore - a tiny loss in

the larger context) and now I can hardly understand the view angles of most

of the photos of the rubble.

http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/

http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/Pictures/bcsquirrel.jpg

(a small friend of mine in Battery Park 1998)