Secondary system cleanup in a PWR

A friend asked me to post this for him regarding filtration methods for iron

from secondary systems in a PWR.  Please respond to him or to the list.

Thank You.

Tom O'Dou, CHP, RRPT

I would like information on products for the removal of corrosion products

(iron) from the steam generation/condensate loop of a pressurized water

reactor (PWR).  The filtration would ideally take place just prior to the

feed to the steam generation unit.  At this location, the water temperature

and pressure is 400 degrees F and 1000 psi.  The following are the points we

would like information on:

  a.. What products are used for the removal of iron oxides at PWRs. BWRs,

or other power generation steam production loops.  Ceramic filters? metallic

filters? electromagnetics?

  b.. What are the general specifications of the product lines?   (material,

available temperatures, pressure loss, filtering velocity, how to clean or

scrub, utilities required, etc.)

  c.. Where have these products been installed?  on which drain lines?

(condensate pump drain, main steam drain, low pressure drain, high pressure

drain?)

  d.. What is the removal efficiency of the various products?  Iron

concentration before and after?

  e.. What is the fequency of cleaning of the filter? replacement?

  f.. How is the waste water from the cleaning treated?

  g.. What is the general maintenance program for the filter system?

  h.. What are the ballpark capital and operational costs?

Thanks for your help.

Brian Hoenes

bhoenes@stoller.com

Environmental Engineer