Re: What can we do now??

It would have been far better if they had crashed into a containment

building. Many lives would have been saved and we wouldn't be faced with

the prospects of a war where no enemy is clearly defined. From a public

education perspective, a better job has to be done as far as distinguishing

between actual lives lost versus some risk potential that may eventually

lead to lives lost. I will take my chances with radiation any day over a

bullet or some mad man in a plane.

DJWhitfill

Opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect official policies or

positions of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

                    "Sandy Perle"

                    <sandyfl@EARTHLINK.NET>        To:     radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

                    Sent by:                       cc:

                    owner-radsafe@list.vand        Subject:     Re: What can we do now??

                    erbilt.edu

                    09/18/01 04:50 PM

                    Please respond to

                    "Sandy Perle"

In my opinion, terrorists need not go after anything remotely related

to "nuclear" .. This is nothing more than the typical hysteria that

surrounds the term. Let's assume that the terrorists did crash into

a containment building. There might have been some immediate

deaths due to the crash .. the passengers and some on the

ground. The containment building would probably have held. If not,

the THREAT of contamination would have loomed for days on end,

in the media. There would have been fears (similar to TMI). Around

the Washington, DC and NYC area there are many nuclear plants

and labs. They didn't go after them. What is the reality .. they

chose a target where there would be a significant number of

immediate deaths. There would be greater fears, due to hitting us

right in our own back yards. Mass destruction, and nothing to do

with a nuclear plant.

The next attack, and the next .. won't have anything to do with

nuclear. They don't need to, to accomplish their goals. They have

already essentially shut down our aviation, they have affected our

privacy and other rights, they have caused serious damage to our

financial institutions. And, nothing to do with a nuclear plant.

Sandy Perle                        Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical                Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service          Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.                E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue            E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/scperle