Re: Contaminated Scaffold Knuckles

(1)Although HPPOS-072 states that it applies to power reactors, it has that

wording primarily because it's in response to a question from a power reactor.

The base regulation it interprets is 10 CFR 20, Subpart K, or the equivalent

part of the previous 10 CFR 20.  This states that:  "A licensee shall dispose of

licensed material only - (1) By transfer to an authorized recipient...; or (2)

By decay in storage; or (3) By release in effluents within the limits in Part

20.1301; or (4) As authorized under [ provisions for petitioning for special

case; release to sanitary sewers; provisions for incineration of certain

materials; and exemption of certain materials contaminated with tritium or

C-14].  There is no provision for the free release of any quantity of licensed

material (unless it is exempted from the requirements of 10 CFR 20, e.g., smoke

detectors, as exempted in 10 CFR 30.20).  HPPOS-072 is an interpretation of this

which applies to everyone subject to 10 CFR 20.  You're right in that it doesn't

apply to DOE facilities.  In addition, some Agreement States, such as TN, have

numerical limits.  (Ever wonder why so many radwaste processors are in TN?)

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com