RE: Resin Intrusion in Nuclear Power Reactors

Lets see if I can remember this correctly....

There are filter beds designed into the coolant/letdown system down-stream

of the resin beds.  The primary purpose of the filters (sometimes called RCS

filters) is to collect mobile resin beads.  Applicable resin beds are

bypassed when their respective downstream filters are taken out-of-service

(e.g., for filter replacement).

Resin beads somehow bypassing the filter banks and introduced into the RCS

charging system would create an FME problem.  A gross failure of a resin bed

would immediately create a letdown flow/pressure problem - an easy situation

to diagnose.  Normal RCS letdown would be quickly isolated and the unit

placed on excess letdown until the affected resin bed was restored and the

RCS filters changed.

Rodney Bauman, CHP, RRPT

Project Health Physicist

84u@bechteljacobs.org