Re: Physical properties of isotopes? -- H-2 question

Chemical reaction rate is approximately inversely proportional to the square root of the mass ratio of the compounds.  Thus  biochemical reaction rates that involve water might be about 95% with D2O (MW=20) of what they are with H2O (MW=18), so it seems to me if all water in the body were D2O there would be a significant effect and for all I know it would be fatal -- I just don't know that much.  However, I also don't know what percentage of body water one or two glasses is.  I don't think it would be too good for kidney function  but it seems to me that "fatal" may be overstating the case.  Comments from MDs and physiologists, please?

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com