Re: Type II Poisson Errors (REPOSTED)

James,

Chris is correct in his statements.  In particular, subtracting even a

constant from a Poisson distribution changes the distribution.  See the work

by Potter, William E.

    Neyman-Pearson confidence intervals for extreme low-level, paired

counting, Health Physics 76:186:1999

and

    Confidence Intervals for low-level, paired counting, Operational

Radiation Safety, 77, No. 5, November 1999, S111.

  There is no formal method I have found for an LLD concept for a Poisson

distribution.  I am preparing such a publication.  A simple way to determine

the Lc is obtain an average background, BG, for the counting period (round

up to the nearest integer).  In Excel use the formula =CHIINV(0.05,

2*(BG+1))/2.  This will equal Lc (95% confidence interval of BG).  To find

the LLD, substitute for LLD in =CHIINV(0.95, 2*(LLD+1))/2 (5% confidence

interval of LLD) until you obtain the smallest value greater than Lc.  This

LLD is total counts.   The difference LLD-BG is the number you are

interested in, but remember, as soon as you subtract you change the

distribution and increase the uncertainty.  You need Potter's method to

determine the uncertainty.  More when the paper is finished.

Joe