RE: Discharge of a I131 patient from the hospital

Actually, assuming I am doing the unit conversions correctly, the figure of

0.9 uSv/hr from a patient whose burden is 40 MBq

is close to the result from our clinical experience. From a database of 350

administrations of I-131 to in-patients for thyroid cancer, we get an

average exposure rate per mCi (37 MBq) of 0.113 mR/hr (1.13 uSv/hr). These

measurements are taken immediately after the administration of the

capsule(s) comprising the dose (mean = 121 mCi or 4.48 GBq) so that we are

dealing with a partially shielded point source in the stomach. However,

there is a lot of variability in the readings because of wide variations in

body size/shape and in the thickness of tissue overlying the gastric pouch.

At discharge you are not dealing with a point source if the patient has had

a thyroidectomy, and all of our patients have. At that point the patient is

an extended source with maybe a few small foci of metastatic uptake.

In any case, we do not discharge I-131 patients based on residual activity,

but on the potential exposure to others, the limit for that being 500 mrem

(5 mSv). We estimate the effective half-life with serial surveys of each

patient, and discharge them if the effective half-life is less than 24 hr

and the maximum exposure rate at one meter is less than 30 mR/hr (sorry, our

meters are all in traditional units). This almost always means that the

patient goes home after one night in the hospital. Sometimes we hold onto a

patient into the afternoon of the day after administration, but we have had

no one stay two nights since we adopted our present protocol about 2 years

ago. On the other hand, USNRC Reg Guide 8.39 would seem to allow for

discharge immediately after administration of a dose as large as 200 mCi

(7.4 GBq) if you believe the assumptions that are made in Appendix B. We

don't. Thyroid cancer patients being treated with I-131 excrete more slowly

than normal people due to reduced kidney function, a result of the severe

hypothyroid state they are all in at the time of treatment. We just

published this in the September issue of Health Physics. We also like to

keep them one night to hopefully contain most of the inevitable

contamination.

David L. North, Sc.M. DABR

Associate Physicist

Department of Medical Physics