RE: NRC News release on Terrorists.

Same thoughts here...

All I know is, if I were onsite and come under fire from a 105 mm howitzer,

you'll find me hiding in containment....you would also find me in there if

I knew that some nut was about to crash a plane into the site using the

containment building as a bullseye marker.

I feel confident that I'd be safe and the reactor would be safe ... I'll

take the radiation exposure over bullets and crashing planes anytime.

My thoughts only...

DJWhitfill

                    "Franta, Jaroslav"

                    <frantaj@AECL.CA>              To:     "Radsafe (E-mail)" <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

                    Sent by:                       cc:

                    owner-radsafe@list.vand        Subject:     RE: NRC News release on Terrorists.

                    erbilt.edu

                    09/27/01 10:18 AM

                    Please respond to

                    "Franta, Jaroslav"

OOOOPS -- I guess John meant burning jet fuel from the airliner ! (thanks

Phil !)

...but if nothing gets through the wall, what difference does it make ?

(ignoring destruction of the "balance of plant" for the moment).

As we saw in the WTC disaster, much of the fuel was gone in the initial

fireball. I suspect this would be even more so in the case of a

disintegration of an airliner on the outside of a containment dome.... in

contrast to the WTC, where a significant fraction spilled throughout the

interior of the structure and ignited any combustible materials there....

Also, in chemical/petrochemical industry, large concrete basins are used

for emergency/accidental spills to safely burn-off the flammable liquid.

I think there is a big difference between the relatively skimpy & fragile

fireproofing of steel structures in highrises, and rebar embedded in

four-foot thick concrete walls !

Jaro