Re: X-ray of packages and containers-image source

Another quick snippet from the internet.  the following has been copied from

the official publication of the House of Commons (UK government) debates.

Throughout the inquiry, we asked about the use of scanners and other modern

technology. Until last Wednesday, we were led to believe that they could be

used by Customs and Excise only in the detection of drugs, tobacco and

explosives. Although the scanners show up the presence of human beings, we

were told that they could not be used specifically for that purpose because

of the health risks involved. We were not totally convinced of that, since I

had been told by one of the manufacturers of the devices that they are in

place on many of the borders of the United States, and they are also used to

screen visitors to the White House. I could not believe that anybody in the

United States would take risks with people's health in those circumstances.

I am glad to say that my disappointment was overcome by an announcement made

in the House last Wednesday. I want to pay tribute to my right hon. Friend

the Home Secretary. Even if we were slightly disappointed in the

Government's response to the part of our report that deals with scanners, we

were delighted last week when it was announced that £9 million had been made

available to buy five X-ray scanners to help to detect and deter illegal

immigrants at points of entry to the UK. Some of the scanners will be

deployed in France to try to detect people and prevent them from boarding

trains and ferries crossing the straits of Dover, and that highlights an

important conclusion of our report, the most effective recommendation of

which is that border controls should be applied when people board the

vehicles bringing them to England--the ferry, the train or the plane--rather

than on arrival in the United Kingdom.

It would now appear that in the UK at least the government is prepared to

use x-ray technology to prevent illegal immigration.

Regards

    Julian Ginniver