From: Ted Rockwell [mailto:tedrock@cpcug.org]

Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 4:50 PM

To: Jacobus, John (OD/ORS); Otto G. Raabe; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: RE: Edward Radford (1922-2001)

> I hope he did more than this.

John:

He did, indeed!  He testified in court that ALARA without limit was

understood to be part of a licensee's legal obligation, and that an employee

who had received a total of 37 mrem total in 4 years was not adequately

protected if the utility COULD have reduced his dosage even further.  The

judge was duly impressed, and confirmed that legal obligation in the court

record.

Radford was cited, along with Sternglass and Caldecott, by Meinhold, NCRP

President, as constituting one position with regard to radiation protection,

to be balanced against Pollycove, Cohen and Feinendegen, with NCRP neatly in

the center.  (Reminds me of the Mutt & Jeff cartoon where Mutt admitted that

he used some horse meat in his rabbit pies.  How much?  "50-50.  One horse,

one rabbit.")

I have both these points documented in writing (but I no longer have the

cartoon)..

A wonderful legacy!

Ted Rockwell