Re: NCRP 136

Of course, the same body of evidence would have to be used to reassess the

weight of scientific evidence for and against the nonlinear dose-repsonse

models. Unfortunately science does not help us much in either case unless

we can talk the entire world's population into participating in a case

controlled (or other, perhaps more appropriate) study. Maybe China will be

the first to volunteer.

We have a situation here where science just does not help us too much.

Perhaps it might in the future, but right now we are out of luck and stuck

with just making the best judgement we can (that silly arbitrary

politically motivated conservative policy and rule making thing again).

Then there is  l i t i g a t i o n. Politics alone puts a damper on any

chance science or common sense has...

I'm not one to give up on science by any means. I just think that whatever

we need to crack this problem, we just don't have it right now...maybe

someday. Sometimes one does have to pause and reflect. Here a couple of

quotes that I have found interesting:

----

Loren Eiseley

Almost every great scientific generalization is a supreme act of creative

synthesis.  There comes a time when an accumulation of smaller discoveries

and observations can be combined in some great and comprehensive view of

nature.  At this point the need is not so much for increased numbers of

facts as for a mind of great insight that is capable of taking the

assembled information and rendering it intelligible.  Such a synthesis

represents the scientific mind at its highest point of achievement.  The

stature of the discoverer is not limited by the fact that he has slid into

place the last piece of a tremendous puzzle on which many others have

worked.  To finish a task he must see correctly over a vast and diverse

array of data.

Sandison

There are many problems which the finite mind cannot wholly grasp and which

must be accepted by faith or left alone.

----

I would not take Eiseley's use of the word "he" too personally....obviously

this was written before the age of political correctness.

DJWhitfill

Opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect official policies or

positions of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

                    Robert A Scott

                    <bobscottchp@JUNO.COM>         To:     radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

                    Sent by:                       cc:

                    owner-radsafe@list.vand        Subject:     Re: NCRP 136

                    erbilt.edu

                    10/24/01 12:42 PM

                    Please respond to

                    Robert A Scott

     I believe you have proved my point.  With the statement below you

address a policy issue, while the Executive Summary stated that the

committee "was charged to reassess the weight of scientific evidence for

and against the linear-nonthreshold dose-response model, without

reference to associated policy implications."

Bob Scott, RSO

Roger Williams Medical Center

Providence, Rhode Island

bobscottchp@juno.com

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 16:19:56 -0700 "John Johnson"