RE: NCRP 136

Franz Schoenhofer wrote:

-----Original Message-----

From: Franz Schoenhofer [mailto:franz.schoenhofer@CHELLO.AT]

Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 5:01 AM

To: Jerry Cohen; Jacobus, John (OD/ORS); Ted Rockwell; RadSafe

Subject: Re: NCRP 136

I am serious with the following request: Please explain to me what you

regard as a 'regulator'? You obviously make some distinction between

Congress and Regulator. Are the regulators you mean the government officials

who make law proposals?

I am not too familiar with the US system of legislation. However I would

believe that some basic similarities should exist in all democracies round

the world, namely, that the Parliament (in the US case it seems to be

Congress or maybe the President - yes I know there is a complicated system

how they are controlling each other) is the only body, which can put

legislation into force. Members of Parliament (Congress) as well as the

US-President are politicians and so they are responsible for the laws they

put into force. I am aware, that quite a lot of legislation is done in the

single US-states, but the situation is not really different: Politicians are

the ones, who are responsible for the laws and regulations. Therefore I

would believe, that the ones responsible for laws and therefore to be blamed

for laws which might not reflect common sense are politicians.

Now my problem understanding the fierce blames on 'regulators': In my

country and as well in other European countries by 'regulator' we understand

the government employees in the ministries, who work on proposals for laws.

Government employees are totally dependent on the will of the minister.

There is a very strict hierarchy with the Minister on top, then there are

Sections with their Section Heads and each Section has Departments under a

Department Head. "Ordinary" government officials have to do what the

Department Head says - whatever nonsense it might be, the Department Head

has to do what the Section Head says and the Section Head has to do what the

Minister says. And the Minister is - of course - a politician, who usually

has no idea about the tasks of the Ministry. Please do not try to tell me,

that this is different in the USA. I know that there are exceptions from the

rule. The ordinary officials who work on law proposals have to work

according to what is told them. They might make a proposal, but they have to

forget about it, if it is decided by their supervisors - and finally the

Minister - that the political will is different. If they are ordered to

incorporate the European Basic Safety Standards Directive, which is based on

the ICRP into National Law, they have to do it. Actually it has to, so the

Minister and the Government are not even the end of the queue upward in

hierarchy.

Franz

===================

Franz,

The situation may be a bit different in the U.S.  Proposed legislation may

originate with government agencies (who will have to find an individual

senator and a congressman to introduce it in the Senate and the House) or it

may originate with individual congressmen (persons?).  Legislation will

usually be written at the policy level, with the details left to be

implemented in regulations issued by the appropriate government agencies (in

the Executive Branch).  It tends to be the case that the only times specific

provisions are written into a law are when a congressman wants to bury a

"goodie" in the legislation for a favored constituent or interest group or

when Congress has despaired of getting the Executive Branch to implement

their clear intent in earlier legislation.

We have laws, appearing in the U.S. Code, and regulations, appearing in the

Code of Federal Regulations.  The regulations implementing a law appear

later, sometimes very much later.  Congress passed a law in 1996 calling on

the FAA to establish oversight of airport security. The airlines and their

friends in Congress conducted a delaying action for several years.  The

Clinton Administration implemented the proposed regulations in one of the

"midnight" Executive Orders issued in the early morning hours of the day

Clinton left office.  One of the first things the Bush Administration did

was put all of those Executive Orders on hold for review.  The airport

security oversight regulations were still being reviewed on 11 September

2001.

My feeling is that as bad as the regulations are in some instances, the

situation would be far, far worse if Congress and congressional staff

actually wrote the regulations (that is, the detailed implementation of

legislation) themselves.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

Richland, WA

jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my

management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.