RE: The Times

RE:  Suitcase Nukes

Dean Chaney wrote,

"Okay I'll bite, is this suitcase nuke real or conjecture?"

They are not conjecture they exist.

The US version is called an ADM, atomic demolition munitions.  They are

designed to be portable by two men.  But remember a combat soldier already

is carrying quite a load, 20 - 30 kilos, usually.  They are intended for

transportation disruption as in bridges, rail yards, highway hubs.  The

doctrine at the time I was in the Army was that they would be used by

Engineering demolition units, just a bigger bang than the traditional

explosives.  Special Forces units were also said to have missions using

them.

Marco Caceci wrote,

"I am led to believe that direct fusion devices (a.k.a.neutron bombs) are

free from the critical mass constrains of fission gadgets."

I have never heard of a direct fusion device.  As far as I know any

alternate means of generating the heat and neutrons required to institute

fusion would be much more massive than an atomic device can be.

Direct fusion what ever that might be, is not the same as a neutron bomb.  A

neutron bomb is simply one designed to maximize neutron production.  In a

"normal" weapon the thermal and blast effects are the predominant effects.

Radiation usually only plays a minor roll.  The zone for reasonably prompt

radiation death is almost always within the zone were moderately protected

can be expected to be casualties from the blast.  The concept of the neutron

bomb is to enhance neutron production so that the reverse would be true.

Troops in hardened bunkers and tanks would be tactical targets for N bombs.

I have no idea about how far or how successful such development was.  I

suspect there is a limit to what can be done.  I suspect the limits were

explored and found not to be large enough to be considered useful.  I

suspect if there was a neutron bomb in the U.S. arsenal, we would have heard

about it even though the fact would likely be classified.

Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent

those of the Denver VA Medical Center, The Department of Veterans

Affairs, or the U.S. Government.

Peter G. Vernig

Radiation Safety Officer, VA Medical Center, 1055 Clermont St. Denver,

CO 80220, ATTN; RSO MS 115

303-399-8020 ext. 2447, peter.vernig@med.va.gov [alternate for business

- vernig.peter@forum.va.gov; private - peter_vernig@hotmail.com] Fax

303-393-5026 [8 - 4:30 MT service] Alternate Fax 303-377-5686

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is

pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is found to

be excellent or praiseworthy, let your mind dwell on these things."

Paul