RE: Immune System and Cancer

Jim,

A very interesting site that discusses the use the immune system to treat

cancer can be found at http://cis.nci.nih.gov/fact/7_2.htm  There is also a

good article on monoclonal antibodies at

http://www.sciam.com/2001/1001issue/1001ezzell.html

Comments have been made, such as the Mayo Clinic site,

http://www.mayohealth.org/findinformation/conditioncenters/invoke.cfm?object

id=03E3E720-7C27-43C0-9DB3EBB58E7843CE ,

that the immune system is scavenging from abnormal, rapidly(?) growing cells

is true.  The big question is if the immune system is doing this marvelous

job, why do cancers occur.  One possibility is that the immune system is

damaged.  Another is that the immune system does not recognized the cancer

cells are tumors.  The second article I list at the time is addressing this

issue.

It is unclear to me if simply "stimulating" the immune system with radiation

really increases the immune system to attack the cancer.  If so, why did it

not do so before?  Could the radiation, in the process of damaging cells,

enhance the scavenging ability of the immune system, but in a not specific,

i.e., anti-cancer cell, way?

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist