Re: Decision time!

The following submitted by Dr. Howard Long.

From: hflong@postoffice.pacbell.net

 by mta7.pltn13.pbi.net (iPlanet Messaging Server 5.1 (built May  7 2001))

 with ESMTP id <0GM3003R0DP1SK@mta7.pltn13.pbi.net> for

 radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu; Wed, 31 Oct 2001 14:41:29 -0800 (PST)

Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 14:47:24 -0800

Subject: Re: Decision time!

To: BERNARD L COHEN <blc+@PITT.EDU>

Cc: Ted Rockwell <tedrock@CPCUG.ORG>, RadSafe <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Concrete Action

HPs, I took individual action to get you-all involved in fallout detection

and

panic prevention. Saturday, Oct. 27, I announced to the Association of

American

Physicians and Surgeons meeting in Cincinnati:

Prevent Panic! Radioactive Fallout May Be the Next Terrorist Attack

1.  Sec Defense Rumsfeld responded to USA Today, "Suppose there's NUCLEAR

[emphasis mine], or chemical-biological attacks on the US a year from now -.

What

would I -want to have done - to deter -, prevent-, or mitigate the damage-?"

2. AAPS website response of Jane Orient, Ex Dir (and same for Doctors for

Disaster

Preparedness) was, "Download Kearney's "Nuclear War Survival Skills", free,

and

order  a cc shipped for $19.75. from www.oism.org.".

3. Contact a volunteer local health physicist through

radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

to join you at medical society, Rotary, or hospital meetings to answer

questions

about measuring fallout and reassuring with info about the BETTER health of

survivors.

I hope you all will call your physicians and offer to help answer technical

questions

.

Howard Long, MD MPH (epidemiology)