[Fwd: Re: >> "oops"]

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: Re: >> "oops"

Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 10:38:58 -0700

From: Tom O'Dou <todou@cabreraservices.com>

To: William V Lipton <liptonw@dteenergy.com>

<3BBDD12E.E8D62A9E@dteenergy.com>

Posting this to Radsafe is fine.

Additionally, I just read a note to radsafe that it is difficult to

cause a

death with a radiography source.  This may be true for the

radiographers,

but what about the family (I think it was in Mexico) that were all

killed a

few years back by a source that one of the children brought home.  Was

this

a case of negligance on the part of a radiography crew? You bet it was.

Failure to use survey instruments is the primary cause in all of these

cases.

Then there was the radiographer that used a source for his own attepted

suicide a few years back?  The person that lost his legs as a result of

putting a source in his pocket (he did'nt know what it was) - this one

made

the NRCs picture book on radiography accidents.

As far as destroying the industry, I disagree!  Radiography is required

for

many situations and is a very valuable tool in industry for making sure

that

construction is appropriate - design specifications and such.  If we

have an

industry that is causing harm - (is this an acceptable risk?) - should

we

not try to do it right?  If we can't do it right - then should we be

doing

it at all?

As long as there are people who see radiography as a way to make a quick

buck without the need for the expense of safety we will continue to see

accidental exposures.  By the way, this is the perfect situation for

unrecorded exposures.  This radiographer was not even wearing dosimetry.

How many times do you think that happens?  If you don't wear dosimetry

and

don't use an instrument should you be doing radiography with sources of

radiation that can cause harm?  This company should be put out of

business.

Just some of my opinions.  Talk to some radiographers if you get a

chance -

commercial radiographers will give you a whole new perspective on how

they

view radiography.

Tom O'Dou, CHP, RRPT