Re: [Fwd: Re: >> "oops"]

In a message dated 10/05/2001 1:39:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time, franz.schoenhofer@CHELLO.AT writes:

There is no need to eliminate the industry - a few seconds to check, whether
the source is back in its shielded container should not cause any additional
costs. We hear these arguments every day in Europe and get tired about it.

This is already required by regulation in the U.S. by the NRC, and I believe it is required of all Agreement States:

10  CFR 34.49 Radiation surveys.  "The licensee shall...:

(b) Using a survey instrument meeting the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section, conduct a survey of the radiographic exposure device and the guide tube after each exposure when approaching the device or the guide tube. The survey must determine that the sealed source has returned to its shielded position before exchanging films, repositioning the exposure head, or dismantling equipment."

But, there can't be a regulator watching every shot to ensure they actually do it.

Barbara