Private:

Franz Schoenhofer

Habicherg. 31/7

A-1160 Vienna, AUSTRIA

Phone: -43 699 11681319

e-mail: franz.schoenhofer@chello.at

Office:

MR Dr. Franz Schoenhofer

Federal Ministry for Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management

Dep. I/8U, Radiation Protection

Radetzkystr. 2

A-1031 Vienna, AUSTRIA

phone: +43-1-71100-4458

fax: +43-1-7122331

e-mail: franz.schoenhofer@bmu.gv.at

Dear RADSAFErs,

I have been recently involved seriously with questions of radiation

protection in radiography in the framework of an Austrian Standard. (You may

call me a regulator.) I have clearly demanded a step, which would require

that it has to be checked, whether the source has been safely retracted into

the shielding by a measurement.

Since it had been prescribed anyway, that measurement equipment has to be on

place this would require an additional few seconds - I do not understand,

how this could put the companies into bankrupture.

>Actually, regulators and most users do take radiography controls

>seriously.

If users do not take radiography controls seriously, their license has to be

terminated immediately.

>However, it is difficult to do much more without eliminating the

>industry

There is no need to eliminate the industry - a few seconds to check, whether

the source is back in its shielded container should not cause any additional

costs. We hear these arguments every day in Europe and get tired about it.

OR

>entirely changing the entire regulatory model whereby you probably

>eliminate

>all uses of radiation.

Come on, this is ridiculous!

Provisions to prevent such exposures can be done without any additional

costs. I do not understand, where the problem is.

Franz