Re: Anti-Nuclear Sentiments and Nuclear Plant Vulnerability to Terror ists

In a message dated 11/7/2001 3:06:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, Peter.Darnell@FERNALD.GOV writes:

(however you wish to define proof), there will be those that will never be swayed to the benefits of nuclear power.  I draw this humble conclusion because there exists a society (of fairly rational people) that maintains the Earth is flat.

Aha! But that number is very small because most have been convinced that the earth is not flat!  We need to continue to do that (be the voice of reason with sound arguements and facts) with our non-nuclear associates.

... But I do feel that we as a profession would have much to gain by voicing our position from a central point.  We need concerted effort to bolster the Society's ability to voice and advertise opinions on such hot topics as vulnerabilities, food irradiation, beneficial uses, and etc.

We also need to speak out to our neighbors and family and friends about the real dangers and the safe aspects to build their understanding of nuclear energy and other processes.  Let me expand on that and include the regulators in that category.  Many of the Federal and State regulators are also ignorant of the rationals that are expressed on this forum.  Thus, it is a good way to provide the rounding of information that otherwise would be narrow and complicated and never explained in enough detail or in simple enough language as we find here.

One other point I'd like to make about nuclear plant vulnerabilities.  Do we really think that terrorists are so dumb that they'd try to hit such a hardened target?  Not to give anyone an idea, but the power grid is a much easier target.  Why is it that we have individuals that focus on the plant itself?  In my opinion, it's an easy mark, many people don't understand nuclear plants, and the form of "verbal terrorism" used can cause great panic without much substance.  I realize that I have probably started an even greater rift between the junk-scientists and the professional community, but I really can't go on listening to the "junkies" abuse without giving them the label they deserve - Verbal Terrorists.

I don't forgive you!  Any TERRORIST   will give a great deal of thought to the results he or she will obtain by any act that may take his or her own life.  Even those that escape alive (and uncaught) will try to obtain the most for the money, so to speak. Recent actions attest to this.  However, to the point, we cannot have a realistic dialog and the attendent learning without discussing the issues relevant to nuclear safety and radiation safety without discussing the reasons surrounding the rules and the abuses of the system that we live with.

Thanks for the prompt.  I got to vent.

John Andrews
Knoxville, Tennessee