Re: Future role for NRC?

Just out of curiosity, why are radioactive materials

and radiation just about the only hazardous material

with its own special and seperate regulator?  I mean,

we don't have a CRC (Chemical Regulatory Commission),

LNGRC (LNG Reg. Comm.), PRC (Petroleum Reg. Comm.),

etc.

Am I missing the boat on something here?  Why are

radioactive materials so special that they require a

totally seperate governmental beurocracy to control

every aspect surrounding them?  No wonder the NRC

isn't as effective as it could be - they have to do

many concurrent functions as other groups and

therefore assume the same responsibilities as many

other governmental organizations.  Talk about not only

reinventing the wheel, but hiring a few hundred people

to help out on doing so.

When we have thousands of Molotav cocktails on wheels

traverssing our nation each day which result in many,

many terrible accidents all the time (compared to the

impecible safety record of rad waste shipments) I'd

say we have our priorities backwards!

Regards,

Tim Steadham, P.E.

--- "Jacobus, John (OD/ORS)" <jacobusj@ors.od.nih.gov>