RE: Cs137/Ba137m generators

I have heard both versions of this discussion boiled down to 'once exempt

always exempt' and 'there are no "exceptions" for specifically licensed

persons'.  I'll admit as a regulator, its never been made very clear to me

in a consistent fashion.

The most recent information from the NRC (NUREG 1556 series, Vol. 8)

"Licensing Guidance for Exempt Distribution" includes an example product

brochure in Appendix L which points out that materials distributed pursuant

to an "E-distribution license" are still subject to 10 CFR 20 for those

facilities that are specifically licensed.  Similar NUREG guidance for

licensees of broadscope (vol 11) point out that possession of generally

licensed material must be considered as specifically licensed material and

tracked as such.

It would be great if the NRC could point to a single reference to make this

more clear to those of us in the 'real world'.  In that aspect I would

qualify Ms. Hamrick's statement below of 'call your local regulator' as

instead a recommendation of 'get it in writing from your local regulator'!

The thoughts expressed are mine, mine, all mine!

I'm with the government, I'm here to help........

Daren Perrero, Health Physicist

perrero@idns.state.il.us