Quiz: Re: (2)Chernobyl spent fuel

 Fritz,

I was looking through the old positings...

You are right the damaged reactor's "in core"

fuel wouldn't be "normally" spent fuel.

The Reactor#4 was the newest of the four on the

site. Because of that there was not much of the

spent fuel from the "Chernobyl 4".

RBMK 1000 plant's lay out is the way that Spent

Fuel Storage was not directly effected by the

explosion, SF storage is OUT SIDE of the Reactor

compartment.

Spent fuel from Reactors 4 and 3(shut down

recently) should be in the SAME storage location.

Some of it could be in the spent fuel pool or in

dry storage.

The answer to your question:

The spent fuel from the Reactor 4 is in the

DESIGNATED storage pool, today, some of that

could be in the dry storage but NON of that was

affected by the April 26, 1986 accident.

The Spent Fuel is NOT enclosed in the

sarcophagus.

Units Three and Four used many of the SAME

auxiliary systems, the spent fuel pool system is

among them.

I am NOT well familiar with the Units One and Two

systems but I know that those units are sharing

many systems as well and the spent fuel pool

should be one of them.

I believe there was no dry spent fuel storage on

the site in the beginning of 90's but it is

possible that there is one, NOW.

I do not know of any spent fuel has been

transfered from the site to the re-processing

plant, during the Soviet Era.

Today it would be almost impossible because of

the separation of Ukraine from the Russia.

The re-prosessing plant as you all may know is in

Russia.

Here is question for the next quiz:

What Ukraine will do with all the spent fuel

which was/is/will be accumulated on its nuclear

plants?

a) Ask the "West" to help out with the money

because of the "traditional" western europaian

safety concerns?

b) We do not have to be proactive but only

dealing with problems as they arrive and become

"burning" issues?

c) Who cares what is going to be after we retire.

d) All of the above

Hope some of the above is answering your original

question.

Emil.

 > Subject: Chernobyl spent fuel

> Radsafers,

> What happened to the spent fuel that had

already been discharged from the

> Chernobyl-4 reactor?  The reactor had only been

operating a couple of

> years before the accident, but there were a few

hundred (maybe 500?)

> assemblies stored in the spent fuel pool at the

time.  I am not familiar

> with the layout of the site and whether or not

the pool is still in

> existence, enclosed in the sarcophagus, etc.

Any information would be

http://personals.yahoo.com