Re: Norm's final words on dead fish

Hi Ruth,

I don't argue the fact that fish like the warm waters on the exit side. Of course, like what happened last week at Oyster Creekm when the nuke goes off line when the surrounding water is cold, all the fish die.

I don't want to argue your technical info either. But the point is that the EPA, PSEG, NJDEP, US Fish and Wildlife, the Versar Group (1992 independent report) all admit and acknowledge that the two Salem Nukes kill billions of fish and other marine life. Dennsi Hart, DEP's head of the Division of water Quality said, "The Salem Nuclear plants have an adverse impact to the environment". No one argue that fact.

What is argued are: (1) the economic cost benefit analysis of building cooling towers, and, (2) whether in the bigger picture, the fish/marine life kills really do have an adverse impact.

In 1992, the NJ DEP wrote a permit requiring cooling towers. Then PSEG and the NJ DEP cut a political deal that allowed PSEG to rebuild supposedly degraded salt marshes instead of building cooling towers. Minor
improvements to intake screens and buckets, and sound deterrent studies were allowed.

You appear to be arguing that I am not being accurate about the fish/marine life kills. Perhaps I just have not communicated well. All once-through cooling systems kill marine life. That is a fact.

norm