RE: electric responsibility

Michael.......you said a mouthful.
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Stabin [mailto:michael.g.stabin@vanderbilt.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 9:50 AM
To: Flanigan, Floyd; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: electric responsibility

>If such a great number of you wish for the demise of the nuclear industry, leave the main breaker off.

Well put, Floyd. I really don't know how these folks manage these ethical conflicts. Sitting in their air-conditioned offices, typing out anti-nuclear treatises on their computers and faxing them to Washington, DC, where they will be flying the next day, after they drive their SUVs to the airport. They hate the power companies and the big oil companies, but demand the right to use their products to try to drive them out of business. I agree with you that I could listen harder to their arguments if they had the power of their own convictions. Some activists (e.g. Mother Teresa) do gain people's respect of their opinions in this way. Others, like the Greens in Germany, will happily be found out eventually for what they really are.

Your comments also remind me of an interesting idea someone once pushed of "yes, in YOUR backyard". A good way to help people take responsibility for their use of energy is to halt garbage pickup entirely, and force people to bury their own waste materials on their own property. With your electric bill every month would come a little packet of fly ash that you have to bury in *your* back yard. With a dozen eggs would come a packet of poultry by-products (i.e. pieces parts), and so on ("let's go easy on the hamburger this month, ewwwww...").

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 322-3190