FW: NORM

The following from Mark Somerville:

From: "Somerville, Mark" <MOS3@pge.com>

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: FW: NORM

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:36:49 -0800

All,

I agree with Bob except for one small point.

We, as an industry, have not learned how to handle and respond to

non-rational arguments.

Maybe a Norm makes us think along those lines.

Think about it, our worst US nuclear accident, three mile island, killed no

one.  Yet, people live to shut down the plants without thinking about

rational power replacement strategies.

People in the US went right back to taking Tylenol because the "accident"

was well managed.

People went right back to eating hamburgers at Jack In The Box after several

people died.  Ground meat now has cooking instructions and people still buy

it.

20,000 people per year die of the flu.  Norm doesn't protest shaking hands

or picket when sick people go to work.

4,000 people die from natural gas accidents every year on average.  Norm

isn't protesting combined cycle gas plants or "unplugging" his stove.

We need to understand this.  Something isn't right.

Mark O. Somerville

Certified Health Physicist

Registered Environmental Assessor

Diablo Canyon Power Plant