Re: Clean Electrical Power for the 21st Century

> This is the true environmentalist vision! Electricity from clean and safe

> nuclear power. Pollution-free autos.

> Unfortunately, misguided folks like Greenpeace, Ralph Nader's Green Party,

> and the Sierra Club will continue to oppose nuclear power and promote

> unworkable and expensive "renewable resource" electrical energy.

Otto's vision is excellent, and I think his analysis is correct, except that

I am not as pessimistic about the public's and our regulators' ability to

review previous risk/benefit analyses and come to new conclusions. We have

seen how just a small amount of pressure (in the form of fairly minor energy

shortages) has caused a noticeable shift in public opinion about nuclear

power. I think the pressure will be enormous soon to become independent of

the oil-producing nations, for security rather than economic reasons. This

will drive a public energy debate in which hard questions will be asked -

and I will wager that direct answers, not the dreamy propaganda and

intentional disinformation in vogue in the late 20th century, will carry the

day. If I had any money to invest in the markets, I'd wager that in a

concrete way, but I'll just have to do so figuratively. I know that this is

one wager that both Otto and I hope that I win!

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 322-3190