Clean Electrical Power for the 21st Century

November 21, 2001

Davis, CA

But for the irrational bias against and fears of nuclear power promulgated

by the extremist so-called environmentalists, we could be heading toward

plentiful power and clean air. But we are not.

The U.S. has enough nuclear fuel now in the form of plutonium-239 and

depleted uranium to supply all of our electrical power needs for the whole

century. No more mining is required since the Pu is coming from retired

nuclear weapons. Deplete uranium is being used for armor, projectiles, and

ballast weights.

With plentiful electricity, we can desalinate ocean water and provide pure

drinking water where needed. In addition, with plentiful electricity we can

produce hydrogen fuel from water by hydrolysis and operate all of our motor

vehicles with fuel-cell-produced electrical power. The need for gasoline

(and imported oil) would virtually end. The only motor vehicle emission

would be water. Fuel cell vehicles are being tested now including buses in

Chicago. All we need is a good source of hydrogen. [Forget about battery

powered vehicles since Americans won't accept glamorized golf carts that

can't provide air conditioning or heat, have puny power, and need to be

charged at every stop with electricity (that comes primarily from burning

coal, oil, and natural gas).]  With fuel-cell powered electrical engines,

automobiles would no longer pollute the air. There would be no greenhouse

gas emissions. With nuclear power produced electricity, there would be no

pollutant gases, acid droplets, or particulate air pollutants.

This is the true environmentalist vision! Electricity from clean and safe

nuclear power. Pollution-free autos.

Unfortunately, misguided folks like Greenpeace, Ralph Nader's Green Party,

and the Sierra Club will continue to oppose nuclear power and promote

unworkable and expensive "renewable resource" electrical energy. Our

elected representatives and the media are strongly influenced by the

"environmentalist" lobby. Because I am pessimistic about where we are

headed, I don't think there is any hope for modern nuclear development in

the U.S. during the next decade. [Several other countries will not be so

stupid, however.] Our economy and environment will suffer.

During the next 10 years there will be about 1,000 new power plants built

in the U.S. Unfortunately, they will probably all be natural-gas fired. I

think I will invest my retirements money in Vanguard's Natural Gas mutual

fund. I wish it wasn't so....

Sincerely,

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP

Center for Health & the Environment

(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)

University of California, Davis, CA 95616

E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu

Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140