RE: Cosmic ray muons

Maybe the following will help:

The median energy for muons at sea level is about 2 GeV (NCRP 94).

The stopping power of 2 GeV muons in water is approximately 2 MeV per cm

(Turner 1995).

In water, as opposed to air, the average energy required to produce an ion

pair (one ionized atom) is 22 eV.

Paul Frame

Professional Training Programs

Oak Ridge Associated Universities