Re: Nuclear Waste - The REAL Problem!

    It seems that very few people understand the true nature of the nuclear

waste problem. By any rational assessment, nuclear waste poses NO serious

threat to public health & safety [If anyone is interested, I can offer

several technical references to support this statement].  Yet, the specter

of a hazard of unprecedented dimensions is firmly embedded in the public

mind. How did this miserable state of affairs evolve?

    It is apparent that nuclear waste is not a problem to be solved. Rather,

it is a problem to be studied. Hoards of geologists, material scientists,

social scientists, consultants, bureaucrats, politicians, anti-nuke

activists, and assorted consultants make a good  living by studying the

problem. Should the problem ever be solved, they would need to seek

elsewhere for their livelihood. The only group that would really benefit

from a solution would be the general public; and who cares about them? All

those who are professionally involved have a strong vested interest in

perpetuating the  problem. Given this situation it is unlikely that a

solution will evolve.

    If all this seems overly cynical, perhaps someone can offer a better

explanation .