Re: Co-60

In a message dated 11/29/2001 11:44:49 AM Eastern Standard Time, dpharrison@AEP.COM writes:

I have a gamma spec report that identifies 1173-keV, but not 1332-keV.  If
it's Co-60, wouldn't I see both peaks?

David Harrison
dpharrison@aep.com

This is a test, right?  Do we get any more information about the spectrum or the sample? Are there any other peaks in the spectrum.  What kind of detector is being used?  Is the peak intense?  Is your calibration correct?  What is the source of the radioactivity? Is it fission or activation products from a reactor, or is it from some other source? Is the sample decayed or fresh?

Yes, you should see the 1.33 peak from Co-60 if the 1.17 peak is present.  If it is truly absent and the other is truly present, then Co-60 is not there is the proper analysis.