Re: Yucca Mtn.- Where did we go wrong?

Jerry,

I agree that ocean disposal would be a safe way to permanently dispose of

spent fuel.  The problem I have with it is that you are wasting a precious

energy source by permanently disposing of "spent" fuel.  I see no suitable

alternative besides temporary centralized storage.  We have wasted

billions of dollars trying to find a way to permanently dispose of high

level waste. Why?  When did it become a necessity that we have to

permanently dispose of the waste?  Why can't we just safely store it?  The

volume required to store all of the U.S. spent fuel is something of the

size of a football field, 15 feet deep.  We have years of experience using

both wet and dry storage.  Twenty years form now, we may be desperate for

the resources contained in so-called "spent" fuel:  radioisotopes that can

be used for medical purposes, uranium and plutonium that can be used for

energy production, etc.

We have the technology to safely store spent fuel for many decades to

come.  Let's spend our research dollars investigating options such as

transmutation and reprocessing/separation.

Fritz Strydom

Johannes "Fritz" Strydom

Deputy Manager, Consulting Products

NAC International