Re: Nukes in Space...

I too am thoroughly sick of this mindless anti-nuke gibberish, but I can't resist answering this one.  A small but significant fraction of launches intended to go far enough away from the earth that they remain in orbit don't make it.  The probability is orders of magnitude larger than, for example, any accident to a spent nuclear fuel cask that could cause a radioactive materials leak or the chance that a truck of spent fuel driving by your hour gioves you cancer.  Note -- I am NOT saying that the probability of the last two event is zero -- it isn't -- but it's much much less than the probability that a space shot won't make it into space, and much much much less than the probability that a space shot won't make it into the sun.

To those who think this is a great idea: what are you going to say if we actually start spending zillions of dollars building test equipment to test this idea?  When the tests don't turn out perfect every time?  When the tests fail?

It's just pie in the sky.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com