RE: Risks of low level radiation - New Scientist Article

Otto,

I read the description here and they go into much more detail regarding the

shortcomings.

Health Phys 1998 Jul;75(1):11-7

Comment in:

Health Phys. 1998 Jul;75(1):23-8; discussion 31-3

Health Phys. 1999 Mar;76(3):316-9

Comment on:

Health Phys. 1995 Feb;68(2):157-74

Health Phys. 1997 Apr;72(4):623-8

Residential 222Rn exposure and lung cancer: testing the linear no-threshold

theory with ecologic data.

Smith BJ, Field RW, Lynch CF.

College of Medicine, Department of Preventive Medicine and Environmental

Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA.

In most rigorous epidemiologic studies, such as case-control and cohort

studies, the basic unit of analysis is the individual. Each individual is

classified in terms of exposure and disease status. However, in ecologic

epidemiologic studies, the unit of analysis is some aggregate group of

individuals. Summary measures of exposure and disease frequency are obtained

for each aggregate, and the analyses focus on determining whether or not the

aggregates with high levels of exposure also display high disease rates. The

ecologic study design has major limitations, including ecologic confounding

and cross level bias. Cohen has attempted to circumvent these limitations by

invoking the linear no-threshold theory of radiation carcinogenesis to

derive aggregate "exposures" from individual-level associations. He asserts

that, "while an ecologic study cannot determine whether radon causes lung

cancer, it can test the validity of a linear-no threshold relationship

between them." Cohen compares his testing of the linear no-threshold

relationship between radon exposure and lung cancer to the practice of

estimating the number of deaths from the person-rem collective dose,

dividing the person-rem by the number of individuals in the population to

derive the individual average dose, and then determining individual average

risk by dividing the number of deaths by the number of individuals in the

population. We show that Cohen's erroneous assumptions concerning occupancy

rates and smoking effects result in the use of the wrong model to test the

linear no-threshold theory. Because of these assumptions, the ecologic

confounding and cross level bias associated with Cohen's model invalidate

his findings. Furthermore, when more recent Iowa county lung cancer

incidence rates are regressed on Cohen's mean radon levels, the reported

large negative associations between radon exposure and lung cancer are no

longer obtained.