RE: Fission Rocket Propulsion Revisited

As I mention in an earlier post, I was involved is NASA's nuclear propulsion

and power programs from 1963 to 1973. These programs were cancelled in late

1971.  However a space nuclear power symposium (obviously scheduled before

the program closure) was held in Las Vegas on March 1-5, 1971.  The

proceedings of that symposium, published as NASA TM X-2440 (Jan 1972) will

give you a pretty good picture of the state of the art at that time.  The

proceedings include 140 papers and  total about 1000 pages.  Although it

wasn't intended that way, the symposium amounted to a funeral ceremony (with

many eulogies) for the space nuclear power program.

My contribution to this symposium was a paper (p. 324-328) which addressed

the solar flare dose which might be encountered on a nuclear rocket-powered

manned Mars mission which consisted of a 280-day outbound run, a 40-day

stay, and a 236-day return.  These mission parameters were typical of what

could be achieved using the NERVA (fission) nuclear rocket technology.

I'm happy to see the interest in this technology resuming.  It's almost like

Rip Van Winkle.  The technology has been dormant for 30 years and has now

re-awakening.  Maybe 40-years after 1971, the technology will be at its

fully awaked level.

* * * * * * * * * *

Jerry Lahti

Exelon Nuclear

4300 Winfield Road

Warrenville IL 60555

phone (630) 657-3869

FAX   (630) 657-4328

gerald.lahti@exeloncorp.com

* * * * * * * * * *

This e-mail and any of its attachments may contain Exelon Corporation

proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject

to copyright belonging to the Exelon Corporation family of Companies.

This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity

to which it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient of this

e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,

copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments

to this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have

received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and

permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any

printout. Thank You.